A producer's blog about music, recording, mixing, songwriting and gear! (I don't know everything, but what I know I'll gladly share!)

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nudge me

I just ran into a situation where I've been muscling a mix around trying to get it to feel right. I've tried just about everything. I just put the mix up on some small speakers and started rebuilding the mix instrument by instrument and realized that the guitars were like 15ms late (I assure you it was an editing mistake. No guitarist drags. No one).

I nudged the guitars ahead a bit and BOOM, the mix feels great.

Don't be afraid to evaluate the groove of each instrument. I heard Jack Joseph Puig state in an interview once that he received a track that was way too perfect. He ended up un-editing the acoustic guitars to make it feel more alive.

Anything goes. Make it a great mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Tell me... tell the world!

About Me

My photo
I'm a producer, mixer, songwriter. I recently moved from Orange County, CA to Nashville,TN I love making music. It is my means for creative expression. I've been married to my wonderful wife Erin for 7 1/2 years and I have a dog named Dexter.